Why and when your consent is necessary
When you register as a patient of Bright Appetites Paediatric Nutrition, you provide consent for our dietitians to access and use your personal information so they can provide you with the best possible healthcare. Only staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will seek additional consent from you to do this.
Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
Bright Appetites Paediatric Nutrition will need to collect your personal information to provide healthcare services to you. Our main purpose for collecting, using, holding and sharing your personal information is to manage your health. We also use it for directly related business activities, such as financial claims and payments, practice audits and accreditation, and business processes (e.g. staff training).
What personal information do we collect?
The information we will collect about you includes your:
- names, date of birth, addresses, contact details
- medical information including medical history, medications, social history, family history and risk factors
- Medicare number (where available) for identification and claiming purposes
- health fund details.
Dealing with us anonymously
You have the right to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless we are required or authorised by law to only deal with identified individuals.
How do we collect your personal information?
Our practice may collect your personal information in several different ways.
- Prior to your first appointment we will collect your personal and demographic information via your registration and consent form
- During the course of providing medical services, we may collect further personal information.
- We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, send us an email or SMS, or telephone us
- In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
- your guardian or responsible person
- other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services
When, why and with whom do we share your personal information?
We sometimes share your personal information:
- with other healthcare providers
- when it is required or authorised by law (eg court subpoenas)
- for the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
- when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information
- during the course of providing healthcare services
Only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing healthcare services or as otherwise described in this policy, our practice will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We will not share your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
Bright Appetites Paediatric Nutrition will not use your personal information for marketing any of our goods or services directly to you without your express consent. If you do consent, you may opt out of direct marketing at any time by notifying our practice in writing.
Bright Appetites Paediatric Nutrition may use your personal information to improve the quality of the services we offer to our patients through research and analysis of our patient data.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
Your personal information may be stored at our clinic securely. Our practice stores all personal information securely in a hard copy format (i.e. paper forms) in a secured environment or password protected electronic files. Please remember that information obtained or stored online is never 100% secure.
How can you access and correct your personal information at our practice?
You have the right to gain access to the information about you held by Bright Appetites Paediatric Nutrition upon written request. If you believe that any of your information is inaccurate, please inform Bright Appetites Paediatric Nutrition so that it can be amended accordingly. If you would like to make a complaint about a breach of privacy, please contact Alex Bartrop via email at email@example.com and it will be dealt with appropriately.
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint, and how will the complaint be handled at our practice?
We take complaints and concerns regarding privacy seriously. You should express any privacy concerns you may have in writing. We will then attempt to resolve it within 30 days in accordance with our resolution procedure. You can contact Bright Appetites Paediatric Nutrition on 0467 682 139, at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at 48 Smith St Charlestown NSW 2290.
Privacy and our website
Our website uses Google Search Console to help us better understand visitor traffic, so we can improve our services. Although this data is mostly anonymous, it is possible that under certain circumstances, we may connect it to you.
Any concerns that you may have about this statement or about your management can be directed to Alex Bartrop at Bright Appetites Paediatric Nutrition via email at email@example.com